Wednesday, January 23, 2013

28: Moving On

   We went to MA for the holiday weekend to stay with my parents. This is the trip we had canceled back in November when there was no chance my child was going to get on an airplane full of people coughing and sneezing. 
   We stayed with my parents and had a wonderful time. We took a few hours out of our visit with my family so that she could have a dose of her two best friends. It killed me that we were not able to visit more people, but this was for her. They are her very best friends, that are twins, whom she grew up with. We got a bit sad driving by our old house, but were quickly snapped out of it when we arrived at their house. She had an amazing time with them. It was wonderful for me also to be able to catch up with their Mom and my very good friend
   If what I read about severe anxiety stunting your growth is true...this photo of the three of them is proof! She is also the tiniest of all of her friends here in Miami as well.
   Anyway, while we were at their house, my older sister, whom we had spent the entire previous day with, sent me a text. She was throwing up and had been up all night in the bathroom with what she thought was a stomach bug. What is with all this vomit?! I can't believe how much vomit we have seen and people we know who have been throwing up within the past few months. It is really incredible. 
   Well, more exposure therapy for my daughter. I tell her while she is playing with her friends and she is not too concerned. She asks me why she is sick and that's about it. On the way back to my parent's she decides to text her aunt and see how she is and ask her all about it. They have an amusing time texting each other and she wants to know what the vomit looks like and everything about it. She has fun reading the texts to me and I am amazed, yet again, at her response and her coping skills. 
   We get back to Miami and head to the clinic on Tuesday. For the first time, there is no work with vomit. Dr. G says she will bring it in occasionally, but weekly work with vomit is done. My daughter tells her about our trip and how my sister was sick. She also tells her how she went to bed one night without having to shower first. Another big step reached! It has been two years since she has been able to go to bed without showering first! Still working on the over hand washing though...
   Dr. G talks to us about what she will be working on with her for the next weeks of therapy. Since all of the coping skills she has learned during the intensive treatment were based on vomit and germs, Dr. G now wants her to learn how to put her "detective thinking" and coping skills towards everything in life. Relationships with friends and family, school, different stress situations and basically just life in general.
   I think this is an amazing plan. My husband and I have always been dealing with something with her. Over the years it has been major separation anxiety, trouble with friends, anxiety about moving, anxiety about allergies, anxiety about something - all the time. 
   We have said on many occasions, "When she is cured of her vomit phobia, what will be next?" That, unfortunately, is how we have been thinking of her for quite a while. And now, she will hopefully be able to learn how to deal with any situation that may arise, with a different approach other than anxiety and fear. And we, learning so much as parents over the past few months, will also have better skills to help her.
   As I end this post, I think maybe it will be the last one for awhile. Life is back to normal. My daughter has been cured of her emetophobia, and it is time to move on. I am a bit choked up now and feel a lump in my throat. Like I am saying goodbye to an old friend. I guess this blog has been my friend for a while now. My chance to tell my story without having to speak. Remember, I am not much of a talker. I never have been.
   So, goodbye for now. My beautiful, magical, mysterious daughter has been cured of her emetophobia. And life goes on...
   

2 comments:

  1. Micheline. Just a quick note to tell you that, beyond a wonderfully loving and giving mother, a generous friend, and a very bendy ballerina, you are also a very gifted writer. I know it isn't what you may have wanted to write about, but you did it with grace, humility and passion. Ira Glass says that good stories happen to those who can tell them. That's you.

    I'm very glad that, if your blog had to happen, it happened to be this short. Though I will miss knowing you better through it.

    Congratulations. What you did was brave, in so many ways.

    Huge love,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Micheline,

    I was just checking in and catching up and am so happy/sad to realize your story and hence your blog is coming to a close. I am relieved that Guilia has made such huge improvements and that you can all continue living your lives without having to focus on phobia.
    I, like Amanda, have been so pleasantly surprised at your hidden talent. You are a great writer. I enjoyed your frank openness and am really thankful to have been able to understand what you and the rest of your family have been going through, and to somehow, in this way, offer my support.
    I am sorry you had to deal with a negative commenter. People can be crappy and hurtful and whomever it was probably has their own deep issues that need addressing.
    I am certain that your blog will continue to help the people who need it.
    I really look forward to seeing you all again...hopefully soon...down here in the island sunshine!

    Sending love and support,
    Jennifer

    ps amazing footage of Guilia on roller coaster from Fabrizio. Give her a hug for me. I am truly impressed

    ReplyDelete