Tuesday, July 30, 2013

32: A Bittersweet Goodbye to Dr. G

   

A little over a month ago Dr. G and I decided we would check in after our summer vacation to make sure my daughter is still doing well. If all is well, it will be time to say goodbye. I agree that I think we are now ready although I choke back a lump in my throat at the mention of having to say goodbye to her. 
      In the meantime, we spend a really wonderful month in Utila, Honduras. This is our island destination and our home away from home for the past 7 years. If you have read through this blog, you will remember that it had become a very difficult place to go with her for a few years. With boats, food that needs to be chosen more carefully, fruits and veggies that need to be washed with the utmost care and lots of other things that can terrify an emetophobic. 
    This time was wonderful. We had a great time visiting with our friends that live there and we met some new amazing people. We went on our little boat often, went horseback riding through the jungle and the beach, snorkeling, dock jumping, and found new creative ways to fight the boredom that creeps in when you are on an island that is only 3 by 7 miles. 
     During an unforgettable dinner one night at Chez Lola, I had an experience I think I have never had before. The incredible feeling of living in the moment. While sitting next to the love of my life, and sharing dinner with amazing friends both new and old from around the world. It hit me. We had all talked about our lives and shared stories and history. I shared our story with our new friend, who ironically is a psychologist at a university.    
    

Conversations went on and I was quietly taking it all in. I was thinking of our past couple of years and thankful for how we have come out on the other side after all that we went through. It was then that our friend John started quietly talking in my ear and saying just what I was thinking - How lucky are we to be sitting here at this young French couple's home/restaurant in a secluded boat access only section of a tiny island off the coast of Honduras surrounded by amazing people. Tears of joy and beauty and accomplishment started to trickle down my cheeks and I could not stop them. I felt alive and at peace. Suddenly, in that moment, all was right and beautiful.
      A few days after we came back home to Miami we had our appointment to see Dr. G. We talked about our trip and how she did really well. We show off her hands which are looking better from not washing them too much. Dr. G asks us if we are ready to say good bye and my daughter and I say we think it is time. She tells us how we have been her most successful clients and that she will never forget us. She tells her how proud of her she is for all of her hard work. She also thanks me for putting my trust in her and not giving up. Then Dr. G says let's go have an ice cream party! So we meet her across the street and have ice cream for lunch. 
     When it is time to say goodbye, we exchange hugs in the parking lot. I am choking back tears. I let Dr. G know how grateful I am for her help and for the fact that she has saved my child and our family. I give her such a tight hug and I wish I would never have to let go. I don't know if you have ever had to say goodbye to someone who has saved your child's life, but it is not an easy task. 
     I get in the car and we are both tearing up. I give her a big hug and she sobs in my arms. I let her know that I am so proud of her. We talk about how hard it is to say goodbye to someone that has had such an impact on your life. I feel like maybe she didn't let Dr. G really know how she felt about her so I ask her if she wants to write her a letter and we can give it to her. She agrees and writes a beautiful letter with photos when we get home.
     I call Dr. G the next day and let her know that she wants to give her the letter. Dr. G tells us that the director of the clinic would like both of us to do a post interview with another clinician so that they can see on paper how she has improved. It is a mini interview much like the 4 hour evaluation we did the first time we went to the clinic back in October. She makes sure they can arrange it when she is there so that we can see her afterwards and give her the letter.
     The next week we head back to the clinic for the post therapy interview. My daughter goes in first and I get a big packet of questionnaires to fill out just like back in October. Then we switch and it is my turn to go in while she fills out papers in the waiting room. As the clinician is asking me all of the same questions on rating her anxiety and depression and suicidal thoughts, I am trying hard not to cry. I am remembering my answers back in October during the first evaluation. I am just so overwhelmed with gratitude and amazement at how different my answers are this time. I don't show my emotions and I manage to get through the interview without any tears, until Dr. G comes in at the end. 
     Now we really have to say goodbye. All over again. Dr. G meets with her first and she reads the letter and they talk. When they call me back in we talk about how hard it is to say goodbye. I tearfully tell her that I cannot even imagine where we would be without her help. 
     We hug again, I cry some more, and we leave the clinic. The clinic and the psychologist that have saved my beautiful child and my family. As hard as it is to leave, I hope we will never need their help again. A bittersweet goodbye.
   

10 comments:

  1. What wonderful news, Micheline, to hear how well Giulia is doing. I love the picture of her jumping off the dock. Pure joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful news, Micheline! I love how God sent you Dr. G to help Giulia and help her become free as a child should be. I also know the feeling of living in the moment on our tiny island and being overwhelmed with gratitude!
    Blessings to you as a mama on this next part of Giulia's journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful news, Micheline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello - I am someone who has lived with emetophobia for almost 30 years now. I finally am seeking help and will be beginning exposure therapy shortly. I was searching for "emetophobia exposure therapy success" when I came across this blog and it is wonderful! I was hoping to email you with some questions, but I can't find an email address. If you see this - and if you feel like emailing a stranger - please write me! I am terrified at the outset of this and just hoping to be able to get through it. My email address is mars_2001@hotmail.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello - I am someone who has been suffering from emetophobia for almost 30 years now. I finally decided to seek out help and will be starting exposure therapy shortly. I was searching around for "emetophobia exposure therapy success" and came across this blog... I'll admit I haven't read all of it because the idea of everything to come still terrifies me. But I'm hoping to get there at some point. Anyway, I was hoping to email you with a few questions... but I can understand if that's not something you are comfortable with. Also I can't find an email address on this blog. Either way, if you would like to help me out with a few questions, please write me! I would very much appreciate it! behrendt.mary@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, hoping you're still checking this blog. I tried to reach you via Facebook but no luck yet. My wife and I were so encouraged about your duaghter's story; our son (12) seems like an almost mirror image of what you guys went through. This was the first time we heard of anyone remotely coming close to understanding our sruggles with Emetophobia. We would be incredibly grateful if we could speak with you, as we are searching for the same/similar treatment for our son. We're at our wits end and hoping you will be willing to help. Please check the request I had sent through Facebook, and I had left my wife's email, should you decide to help. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul! So sorry I missed your FB message. I just found it and replied there with my email and phone #.

      Delete
  7. I read through all of your blog entries. I'm in tears right now typing this. My 8 year old daughter is going through this too. She was actually hospitalized at 6 through a food phobia program in Portland, OR and was doing really well for over a year. We decided it was time to wean her off of her Sertraline and then some kid at her school threw up and it's just been bad ever since. They upped her dosage and are going to start some kind of exposure therapy but they have never done this with an emetophobic person before. We have medicaid and I'm so frustrated with the lack of options they give with mental health care. She's so young that I am skeptical of this exposure therapy. It was very reassuring to read through your blog. If you know of any resources that could help, I would appreciate them. My email is tamiissunshine@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so grateful to have found your blog. My 7 year old daughter has been
    experiencing some severe anxiety and has been obsessively making me promise
    her that she is not going to throw up. She does not want to be with anyone
    but me, she is afraid to eat lots of foods....this has been going on for
    about 2 months. I have been working with a homeopath for her, plus she is
    in play therapy, and her therapist just mentioned that maybe my daughter
    has a mild form of emetophobia. that was how I found your blog.

    thank you for sharing your story. I know that we will get through this...it
    will pass, as your mother said. I want to be the best mother I can for her
    and make sure all of us (we also have a 10 year old daughter) get through
    this and are stronger for it.

    Just last night it took my daughter 2 hours to fall asleep with me
    reassuring her over and over that you cannot throw up in your sleep. then
    she (and I) was up 5 times all night. Today I decided I was no longer going
    to reassure her, I would tell her that she could trust herself. I stayed
    strong all day and it was a much less anxious day for her. then...tonight,
    she went to sleep almost without a peep. It is so hard to be sleep deprived
    and be a good parent. I am so thankful that you shared your story. I have a
    blog also, about the fun outdoor stuff we do, but I am going to share my
    experience with my daughter on there...us moms need to stick together and
    help each other through these hard experiences.

    Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete